Homemade Chocolate Syrup Recipe
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- Use a big saucepan – at least 2 quarts. This will expand when boiling, and overflows will make a big mess on your stovetop!
- Combine the cocoa powder, water, sugar and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Mix with a whisk until smooth.
- Stir constantly with a whisk or a wooden spoon until it boils.
- Allow it to boil for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Allow to cool.
- Add vanilla.
- Syrup will be very thin/watery. Allow to cool completely and it will thicken to about the same consistency as store bought syrup.
Note: I added a tablespoon per cup of milk to make chocolate milk. As with the brand-name chocolate syrup, you can experiment with the proportions to get the taste you’re looking for.